Chiatura is located in the mountainous part of Imereti. It lies in the gorge of the Kvirila River and is surrounded by cliffs. City districts are connected with the center via cable cars. Chiatura was founded in 1879 after manganese ore mines were opened there. From 1917 under the administration of Kutaisi and it became an independent district in 1930. Local flora isn’t too diversified, the most common forestry species are hornbeam, oak, ashen and linden. Fauna is represented by Caucasian deer, roe deer, chamois, wolves, Caucasian marten, lynx and others. Agriculture isn’t top industry in Chiatura.
The principle crops produced there are: tea, vineyards, maize, and beans. People mainly work in manganese mines which supply the ferroalloy factory. The first entrepreneur society was created under the initiative of famous public figure Nino Nikoladze and a small group of entrepreneurs in 1918. Since 1925 the production of Chiatura manganese was controlled by the Ministry of Industry of USSR. During the existence of the USSR, manganese was sent to all the republics and also abroad to England, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Poland and many other countries.
The Zestaponi-Sachkhere railway connects Chiatura to the Trans Caucasus main line. The road which passes through the city is of national significance. The shortest connection to Tbilisi goes through Zestaponi, Chiatura, Sachkhere and Gomi. Revolutionary communists like Ioseb Stalini, Mikha Ckhakaia and Ali Tsululidze were public figures working in Chiatura.
Near Chiatura there’s a cave Jarbela and a castle dating back to the Middle Ages.