It is an impressive 40 meters tall, natural limestone pillar, located on the watershed of the Rivers Kackhura and Gvitori. In the Middle Ages it was hermits’ dwelling. There are two small churches on the upper platform of the pillar accessible through an iron ladder. Historians associate the construction of the chapel with asceticism. In the 6th century renunciation was very common in Asia and particularly in Syria which had close relations with Georgia.
The pillar was uninhabited for centuries. It was visited for the first time in 1944 by a group of climbers who were lead by an alpinist A. Japaridze. They found ruins of a church and the 600-year-old bones of a stylite (a pillar-saint). All complex consists of the church dedicated to Maximus the Confessor, crypt (burial vault), three hermit cells, wine cellar, and curtain wall on the uneven top surface of the column. At the base of the pillar you may find newly built church of Simeon Stylites and ruins of an old wall and belfry.