Mtsvane Kvavila neighbourhood is located on the left bank of the Rioni River. It is an interesting district with beautiful nature and historical monuments. It used to lie on the outskirts of Kutaisi, but now it is one of the central districts in the city. You can get there from Shaumiani or Gelati street. The historic, architectural complex of Mtsvane-Kvavila includes three churches, a defensive tower and a pantheon of public figures from Kutaisi. The oldest basilica in the district is from 1117. It was built of stones and covered in limestone.
Another one, the church of the Assumption of the Archangel, named after Zakaria Kvarianuseuli Archangel, is from the middle of the 17th century and it was re-painted in 2005–2006. The biggest church in Mtsvane-Kvavila district is the cross-domed church which was built in 1914. The defensive tower is a big quadrangular building. On the ground floor there is a big room with arches and it has only one entry on the southeastern side. The walls are two meters long with different size embrasures. The first floor doesn’t have a roof and its main purpose was to spy on enemies.