Chkhari is located in Terjola district on the bank of the Kvirila River. It is an old village which used to be a settlement of the traders and handicraftsman. Historical sources mention them in a story from the 17th century. In 1634 – 1635 the Prince of Samegrelo, Levan II Dadiani, liberated the King of Imereti, George III. As a gift, King gave him traders from Chkhari, who were resettled by the Prince to the village of Rukhi in Samegrelo. There is a historical and architectural complex from the Middle Ages which includes the Church of Saint George and a bell tower surrounded by a defensive wall. A big engraved gold cross made by goldsmith Mamne and other valuable items from the church are now kept in the Museum of Art and Museum of Manuscripts in Tbilisi.
In Okoni, close to the village of Chkhari there is another church from the Middle Ages – The Savior Church. The paintings inside the church were made in the 15th – 18th century.