Geguti castle is located on the bank of the Rioni River, 7 km south of Kutaisi. It was a royal residence however today only ruins remain. The earliest information about it is in a tale "The Life of King Vakhtang Gorgasali" written by a Georgian prince and historian Juansher Juansheriani in the 8th century. In one of the paragraphs of the tale Archil - the Prince of Kartli mentions that he is moving to Kutaisi to Geguti fortress. The castle stretches for 2000 square kilometers. Its first plan was drawn by a Swiss historian and archeologist Frédéric Dubois de Montpéreux in 1833. Over 60 artefacts were found on the territory of the castle during fieldworks conducted in 1937 by a Professor Levan Muskhelishvili, an architect V. Tsilosani and a photographer Gilgendorf.
All the objects are preserved in the Georgian National Museum. Main restoration works were carried by Professor Vakhtang Tsintsadze between 1954 and 1962. The earliest architectural structure was found during the conservation date back to the 8th–9th centuries. It was a simple, one room hunting house called “Didbukhriani". The subsequent four-story brick layered building which served as a living place for the Kings is from the 12th century. The palace church and the main building located in the west belong to the third period – 13th–14th centuries.